Here’s a trick question: What if you could travel anywhere in the United States or Canada without the need to fly, drive, waiting in line, going through security check ins and having someone to transfer your luggage from one platform to another?
There’s nothing tricky about that question and train travel may be the way to go in Canada and the United States.
In 1862, President Abraham Lincoln signed and authorized the first transcontinental railroad called the Pacific Railway Act. That made train travel not just in a localized area. From then on it made travel possible in the United States from coast to coast.
Oliver Evans, an American inventor born in 1755, best known for his invention of high-pressure steam engines once said
“The time will come when people will travel in stages moved by steam engines from one city to another, almost as fast as birds can fly, 15 or 20 miles an hour…. A carriage will start from Washington in the morning; the passengers will breakfast at Baltimore, dine at Philadelphia, and sup in New York the same day…. Engines will drive boats 10 or 12 miles an hour, and there will be hundreds of steamers running on the Mississippi, as predicted years ago.”
Since the introduction of air travel, train travel has taken the backseat. Today, with the increase in security and the problems and higher fees on air travel, Americans and Canadians are looking into alternatives of traveling in a more comfortable style using the trains.
Here are 6 reasons why train travel is most ideal for seniors or families with children or grandchildren:
1. An experience and comfort– It is more comfortable to travel in trains. You get to sit back and relax, walk from car to car, dine in the dining cars, have a snack or drink at the lounge room or just hanging out reading or sipping coffee at your seats. Travelers could choose sleepers, first class or economy class. You get to watch the changing scenery as you travel along.
2. No waiting for hours and changing terminals– With air travel you have to wait in line to get your bags checked-in or get your boarding pass. You may have to walk from terminal to terminal with your check in luggage. Sometimes these terminals are huge and some of us find ourselves lost in airports looking for the right gate to board our flight.
3. No security check in– There is the hassle of taking off your shoes, belt, earrings or anything that you have in your pocket. Then there are the small liquid items that you may need on board and that has to be checked-in. Your fellow travelers behind you may be rushing you to get your items quickly off the belt. Imagine that?
4. Fear of flying– There is no denying that many do have the fear of flying. In fact studies show that about 33% of adults in America have a fear of flying. Now you will not be restricted and homebound because of fear. Take the train and explore America, Canada or both.
5. Porter at the train station– What about a service where you get someone taking your luggage from station to station. Porter services are provided in most train stations in United States and Canada. You don’t have to lug the heavy luggage everywhere.
6. Purchase your meals on board– All meals can be purchased on board the train. Snack cars and dining cars are available for long distance and light meals are available for short distances too. Check with Amtrak or VIA Rail Canada on availability and options.
Amtrak USA and VIA Rail Canada have special train passes, discounts and special deals for seniors, families traveling with children and off peak season discounts. Check out their websites to find out more about your travel options and travel destinations.
We would like to recommend two amazing train trips between Vancouver and Montreal in Canada via VIA Rail Canada and a trip between Chicago to the West Coast through the Rocky Mountains.
According to Amtrak, travelers 62 years of age and over are eligible to receive a 15% discount on the lowest available rail fare on most Amtrak trains. On cross-border services operated jointly by Amtrak and VIA Rail Canada, a 10% Senior discount is applicable to travelers aged 60 and over. To find out more, please click on this link: Passenger Discount for seniors. Proof of age is required for this special deal.
Is it time to take a trip of your dreams with your spouse, family or friends? Fall is a perfect time to go out and explore at a cheaper price without the summer crowds.
A daily check-in call could be the lifeline, the joy you give someone that makes the biggest difference in their perception of what old age is like.
Contact me at 317-480-1038 today. Let’s make a difference together.
I’m Diana Beam, Founder of Keeping in Touch Solutions. It is my heartfelt desire for every person to live a happy and healthy life in the place they call home, no matter what their age. You can’t put a price on peace of mind for your parents and yourself. It’s priceless . . . and significant.
For that reason, the goal of every Keeping In Touch Solutions program is to provide a caring connection and service that both the elderly and their caregivers can rely on to make living that good life easier.
Please log in again. The login page will open in a new window. After logging in you can close it and return to this page.